Civil Service Commission
- Tim Newton – Chairman
- Tony Zerges – Comissioner
- Tara Fridley – Comissioner
- Heidi Culbertson – Secretary
The Civil Service Commission consists of three Commissioners and one Secretary. All positions are part time and are appointed by the hiring authority at their time of office. The Civil Service Commission meets a minimum of once per month on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00 pm. Meetings take place in the conference room which is located directly below City Hall. These meetings are open to the public.
The Commission conducts examinations for various classified positions for the City of St. Bernard including new positions and promotional examinations. It is the responsibility of the Commission to certify eligibility lists and present them to the hiring authority. The Civil Service Commission is responsible for following the guidelines of The Ohio Revised Code. It does not interview and hire any of the employees within the City of St. Bernard.
Fire Department Exam Notice PDF
NOTICE OF COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION
TO ESTABLISH AN ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR DUTY
WITH THE ST. BERNARD SAFETY DEPARTMENT
AS A FIREFIGHTER
Examination will consist of three parts: Written Exam (through National Testing Network, Inc.),
Assessment Exam, and Oral Interview.
The Civil Service Commission will be conducting the written portion of the Firefighter entrance exam through the National Testing Network, Inc. (NTN) in order to establish an eligibility list for vacant positions available at this time.
Beginning Wednesday, April 28, 2021 , all candidates (unless considered lateral transfer – see below) must apply through the National Testing Network and take the FireTEAM Exam (www.nationaltestingnetwork.com), complete the Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ), which is accessed through your NTN candidate account, and submit all required documentation by Monday, June 7, 2021 at 5:00pm.
All requirements are outlined on job posting: www.nationaltestingnetwork.com
Anyone 21 years of age may apply to take the examination. No one shall be eligible to receive an appointment prior to their twenty first (21st) birthday or past their forty-first (41st) birthday, unless they were originally appointed to a different department prior their forty-first (41st) birthday.
Physical Agility Test will be conducted by the St. Bernard Fire Department. Qualifying candidates will be contacted with date and location once determined.
Additional Exam Information:
- Following the FireTEAM exam, the Civil Service Commission will select up to 15 candidates receiving a passing score. The top 5 Lateral Entry candidates will automatically advance in the process. The list will then be filled with the remaining top scoring candidates. To be eligible for Lateral Entry the candidate must meet the following criteria: Firefighter II, Paramedic and 2 years full-time experience with a municipal fire department, with no disciplinary action resulting in suspension or loss of pay within the last 12 months.
- The written exam will be worth 35% of the final grade. The assessment exam will be worth 35% of the final grade and the oral interview will be worth the remaining 30% of the final grade.
- The assessment exam will consist of 5 questions/scenarios and will be graded by three officers the from the St. Bernard Fire Department.
- The oral interview will be conducted by a panel of six members and will consist of ten questions.